Civic group: Ferguson grand jury will keep meeting Monday – Al Jazeera America

Crews set up barricades around the building where a grand jury has been considering whether to indict the white police officer who shot and killed unarmed black teenager Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri, setting off weeks of sometimes-violent protests. Tension has been mounting for days in the St. Louis suburb, with the grand jury’s decision widely expected this weekend — but that seemed increasingly unlikely as Sunday dawned.

Downtown STL Inc., a St. Louis civic group that promotes local businesses, told members in an email Saturday that the grand jury would reconvene Monday to continue deliberating whether charges are warranted against Ferguson police Officer Darren Wilson in the Aug. 9 fatal shooting of Brown.

The email did not explain how the group obtained the information, and a spokeswoman declined comment. Ed Magee, a spokesman for St. Louis County Prosecutor Bob McCulloch, did not respond to several messages Saturday.

The Brown family’s attorney, Ben Crump, said Saturday that he hadn’t heard a decision had been reached and that prosecutors had promised to tell him when that happened.

There have been many protests in the months since Brown’s death, including some that were violent. On Saturday, authorities set up barricades around the Buzz Westfall Justice Center in Clayton, Missouri, which is where the grand jury has been meeting.

Barricades also went up in the shopping center parking lot on Feguson’s West Florissant Avenue, where police set up a makeshift command center in the immediate aftermath of Brown’s death.

Steady rain put a damper on most of Saturday night’s protests. About 40 mostly teenage demonstrators strode up and down a main street in Ferguson, waving upside-down U.S. flags and home-made placards and chanting, “We’re young, we’re strong, we’re marching all night long,” “No justice, no peace” and “Mike Brown means we’ve got to fight back.” Cars stopped and drivers honked, slowing traffic.

Other protesters gathered outside Ferguson police headquarters for a fourth straight night, while convoys of law enforcement vehicles patrolled after dark.

The FBI has sent nearly 100 additional agents to Ferguson to help law enforcement agencies, according to a U.S. official who spoke on condition of anonymity because the official was not authorized to discuss the FBI plans.

Brown’s mother, Lesley McSpadden, spoke to protesters through a bullhorn and urged people to be careful.

“Don’t agitate them, and don’t let them agitate y’all,” she said. “I don’t want nobody getting hurt. We’re all willing to do something, but I don’t want nobody getting hurt.”

Later, several protesters gathered outside of Ferguson’s police station, where they blocked South Florissant Avenue. Officers warned the crowd not to impede traffic, and the demonstrators moved to the sidewalk before eventually spilling back into the street. Two people were arrested for unlawful assembly, said St. Louis County Police spokesman Brian Schellman.

Several businesses in Ferguson and Clayton have boarded up their windows, and some residents admitted to feeling anxious. Things were calm during the day on Saturday.

Jamie Freeman of Ferguson, a 38-year-old registered nurse and mother of four, said she was especially concerned since her 20-year-old son lives in the neighborhood where Brown was shot.

“I just hope it stays peaceful,” Freeman said of protests that will follow the grand jury decision. “We all have human emotions, but there’s a way to do things, and violence, you can’t get peace from violence.”

Wire services


Write a Reply or Comment:

Your email address will not be published.*


  • Fashion and Style